Monday, October 10, 2011

Shit.

I totally forgot. The whole reason for the Tomorrow When The War Began post was to jot down that it inspired me to write.

Instead, I bludgeoned you with a book recommendation, swore, and ranted like a 13 year old (version of myself) about wanting to be in a movie. Bahahah.

I watched the special features after the movie (pa-thetic. I'm obsessed again. Watch this space. I'll be reading them again in a matter of days), and John was talking about writing, likening it to a swimmer training for the Olympics.

I'm all 'I'd love to be a writer' but, I don't make the time to write. In fact, the IKEA desk I bought earlier this year? I sat at it to write for the first time yesterday. Yes. My desk has moonlighting as a makeshift WARDROBE (IKEA - so verstaile).
The shame. Wish I took a picture.
 
So, I'm watching John Marsden talk about writers needing to write every day, or we'll become shitty and flabby (not unlike an out of training Olympian). I march into my room, pull everything off my desk, violently deposit it on the floor and commandeer my sister's laptop (mine is so severely old, I need a new one badly if anyone's feeling generous).
 
And I wrote.
 
It's not the best thing I've written, and it's quite TWTWB inspired (haha), but I'm really happy with myself.
Normally I just write when an idea pops into my head; if I can be bothered turning on the light and reaching for my pen and paper (bastard nocturnal imagination).
 
But I sat down, and I just wrote.
 
I'm going to train more often. In different styles, different genres.
 
One day my story will find me.
   
 
I'll always have a bit of clutter, so I leave with this excuse (thanks Einstein).

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree, except I do think you could tone down the obscenities just a tad, although they can be quite witty used in the right context, you have to be careful not to tread too closely to the line, just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Mr Keith, have taken it on bloody board.

    (heehee, sorry couldn't resist :)

    ReplyDelete