Thursday, September 22, 2011

A man whose guilt was in serious doubt has been murdered.

Troy Davis was found guilty of murdering a police officer 19 years ago, based upon the testimony of nine witnesses.

Today, seven of the nine have recanted their testimony entirely. There are also a multitude of problems with the testimony of the remaining two witness accounts.

There is no other evidence. No murder weapon. No DNA.

Today, Troy was killed by lethal injection.

I'm not standing here saying that I know this man was innocent. I haven't read enough about it, and I haven't heard his testimony. What I do know is that his sister, that Change.org, and that millions of people worldwide believed that a man with his guilt in doubt should not be executed.

The State of Georgia did not agree.

What I feel in my heart, is that Troy's letter, 'To All'  sounds like the words of an innocent man. I pray for his soul, and for the unwarranted waste of life.

This is indeed a dark day for humanity. I pray that we need never repeat this again. I ask that we all take to whichever platforms we can to make our voices heard, to make Troy's unneccessary death count.

I pray that he did not die in vain.

If you're interested in becoming more involved in advocacy around the death penalty, visit Amnesty International, The Innocence Project, or the NAACP. You can also start your own campaign on this issue on Change.org.

Sources:
http://redantliberationarmy.wordpress.com/2011/09/11/to-all-a-message-from-troy-anthony-davis/
http://www.change.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment