Tuesday, May 19, 2009

World Wide Web = Big Brother?


Big Brother. We've all watched the reality television show (anyone who denies this is a liar... or a saint), but before the title 'Big Brother' became all about nudity, tedious arguments and romances that barely lasted out the fifteen seconds of fame it represented dictatorship and oppression. The article discussing
the World Wide Web and it's latest web-threat has further chipped away at the steadily tinier piece of security I find harder to hold on to.

The article suggests that Web users - and our personal activities on the Web - can be tracked by governments and corporations. These organisations have these capabilities in order to monitor and evaluate the success of their sites.

I can't decide how I feel about this. On the one hand, I am taught that measuring and evaluation are tools that must be used in order to be successful. Yet a larger part of me shudders at the thought of being monitored like a Costa Rican spider monkey.

I doubt there's anything that can be done to stop this process, I just hate the thought of someone snooping on me while I'm snooping about on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment